In 1932, the world was in the grip of a Polio epidemic. Those who survived were often left with severe physical disabilities, requiring ongoing care. Brisbane Rotary arranged a public meeting at Brisbane City Hall to discuss how assistance for children could be provided. From this meeting the Queensland Society for Crippled Children was formed. Brisbane Rotary spearheaded fundraising and Mr George Marchant donated his home at Taringa to The Society.
George Marchant was a philanthropist who donated land and property to many organisations and he maintained a lifetime interest in The Society. The Montrose Home at Taringa was officially opened on 3 December 1933 but its facilities soon became inadequate. Mr Marchant responded to this need by purchasing a larger site in Corinda in 1937. This property was donated to the Society and renamed Montrose after the Duke of Montrose in Scotland with his coat of arms used as the Montrose logo. Over a period of years the site at Corinda was developed and at one stage 100 children could be accommodated as services offered then were centre based.
Thanks to advances in medical practice, the need for treatment of children with polio waned. In 1959, the Medical Panel of The Society found that there was a great need for assistance for children with diverse muscular disabilities, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and other conditions. Many of the children still lived at Montrose and were offered a broad range of services, including therapy services. By the 1970’s, The Society operated four homes – Montrose Home at Corinda, McPherson for Senior Girls at Norman Park, Pamela Roles Home and Sheltered Workshop for Senior Boys at Manly and Dumbarton Seaside Home at Margate.
In the early 1980’s, policies changed to include services which enable families to care for their children in their own homes. By this time, the organisation was focused on therapy and homecare services. In 2001 Montrose Home changed its name to MontroseAccess and new offices were opened on the Gold Coast (2005) and Brisbane North (2007). Also in 2007, for the first time, young adults were assisted through the introduction of the Lifestyle and Leisure Program.
In 2014, after 76 years, the Corinda site was sold and Montrose Therapy & Respite Services (as we are now known) moved to new premises at Darra to better meet the changing needs of customers and families. Recent years have seen continued change as we respond to the introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). New offices have been established in Toowoomba and Ipswich.
The organisation continues to innovate and is well placed to continue to provide high quality services to Queenslanders for many years to come.
World in the grip of a Polio epidemic. Brisbane Rotary arranged a public meeting to discuss best way of assisting children affected.
The Queensland Society for Crippled Children established in April 1933. On 3 December 1933, “Montrose” the beautiful Queenslander house in Swann Rd, Taringa donated by Mr George Marchant is opened
Mr Marchant donates the Corinda site with accommodation for 90 children
Matron Jessie Peters retires after 25 years at Montrose – being the first Matron and greeting the first group of children to Montrose in 1933
Advances in medical treatment reduce the impact of Polio. Montrose focuses on children with muscular disabilities, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and other debilitating conditions
Construction of buildings at Corinda site as it transformed into a special needs school with new dormitories
The final residental clients leave Montrose at Corinda as the transformation to community based and in-home support services is completed
Montrose opens a Sunshine Coast office
Montrose changes its name to MontroseAccess
Montrose Gold Coast office is opened
After 76yrs at Corinda, Montrose completes the sale of the site and moves to new premises at Darra to better meet the changing needs of customers and families.
New offices opened in Ipswich and Toowoomba. Client numbers increase to over 1300
Our Sunshine Coast and Brisbane North Centres were relocated to larger, more modern premises and a new centre was opened at Slacks Creek to service the Logan area.